Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get my t-shirts ready for my quilt order?
- No cutting of tees is necessary to get your tees ready for your quilt order!
- I prefer uncut t-shirts so I can get the best use and creative placement out of your clothing for your quilt.
- Send clean tees and clothing washed in fragrance-free detergent and dryer sheets. New t-shirts should be washed too!
- Please mark logos that you DON’T want to be used by placing a piece of blue painters tape up in the shoulder area -"Don't Use"
- If there are special tees you want in the center of your quilt, label with blue painters tape. “CENTER" Please place tape up in the Shoulder area. NOT on the Logo! Sometimes tape leaves a sticky residue.
- Please write on your tape before you place it on tees and clothing. Sometimes the ink will soak thru the tape and leave letters on the garment!
- Prioritize your tees by putting the minimum number tees for your quilt size in a bag and label "#1"
- Take the remaining tees and label "Extras"
- My process is to cut the "#1" bag of tees first. If I need more tees to fill space on your quilt, I will use tees from the "Extras" BAG.
- I do like extra tees if you have them. If you don’t have extra tees, I will work with what you give me and add small solid color t-shirt pieces from the backs of your tees to fill in and create the quilt size ordered.
- "Filler" pieces are plaid flannel pants, stripes, tie-dye or anything that has a print to it. These pieces add pop and interest to your quilt. Mark this bag "FILLER"
- Filler pieces can also be cotton prints that you purchase. Just give a call so we can talk about the amount of fabric to purchase. When adding prints like this a smaller amount of tees is used in making your quilt.
- If you have already cut some of your tees, please let me know. I can usually make them work.
- Any uncut tees or clothing will be returned with your finished quilt.
- Once you purchase a quilt deposit you will receive a link in your confirmation email for a T-SHIRT QUILT FORM to print and ship with your tees. This form will have a copy of these instructions along with other questions gathering more information needed to complete your quilt order.
What should I do about stains and holes?
Stains and holes are part of your story. But if you don't want them to show. Please mark them and I will do my best to work around them.
Can I use more than T-Shirts in my quilt or pillow?
My motto - "If it's washable, it can used in your quilt or pillow"
YES! more than tees can be used in your Memory Quilt!
I have made quilts using the following items:
- Sweatshirts, hooded sweatshirts, sweatpants, sports jerseys, tank tops, baseball jerseys with button fronts, shorts, sweat jackets, Tie-dye t-shirts
- Plaid flannel pants, backpack logos, school uniforms, and patches
- Jeans, sweaters, button-down shirts, western shirts, hockey socks, swimsuits, leotards, hat fronts, flags, Hawaiian shirts, military BDUs
- Favorite baby blanket, little girl dresses, infant clothing, infant hats, pillowcases
Is there anything that you don’t recommend for use in the quilts or pillows?
I do not recommend-
- Puff paint t-shirts. The puff paint on the t-shirt will peel and stick to other items when using and washing the quilt.
- Tees with photos that were NOT printed with a direct-to-garment printer. Tees with photos that are heat pressed onto the tee also peel and flake away over time while using the quilt.
- Chenille letters/patches from Letterman jackets are made from wool and are not washable and would need to be removed before washing the T-shirt quilt.
If you want to use a chenille letter from a letter jacket I would suggest using it on a pillow. The wool in the chenille letter is not washable and its easier to remove the letter to wash the pillow cover and then stitch it back on when washing is done.
What happens to extra clothing items?
Any clothing or tees that I have not cut into will be returned with your finished quilt or pillow. I do not return cut pieces of tees or clothing from your project.
If you have something that is going to be used in your quilt that is very sentimental, I will return it with the finished but it must be CLEARLY MARKED so I know you want the remaining pieces returned.
Can I make a DEPOSIT on a custom quilt order?
I highly recommend purchasing a Quilt Deposit to get your Quilt Order started! This helps with my quilt work schedule as my turn-around time is generally 2 to 3 months on custom orders.
A deposit is a minimum requirement on custom quilt orders and reserves your spot on my work list. This gives the customer time to prepare your clothing and ship at a later date.
The remaining balance on your order is due when your order is complete. You can pay the balance by sending a check or I can invoice the balance to pay by credit card online or by PayPal or Venmo.
Your quilt or pillow will ship once the balance is paid.
I live locally. Can I drop off my clothing and picking up my finished custom order?
Yes, call or text Julie at 719-661-2990 (please leave a message and I will get back to ASAP) or email email@example.com to set up a time for your delivery and pick up.
How do I care for my finished quilt?
Following our specific quilt care instructions is important to preserving the unique memory quilt that is now yours or a gift for your loved one.
Your quilt was created with care and was made to be used and loved!
I recommend washing your quilt about once a year. Unless you are using it HARD, then you may need to wash it more often. It can also be spot cleaned if only a small area is soiled.
Wash in cold water on a gentle cycle with a bleach-free detergent.
Dry on low heat or fluff and hang dry.
For large quilts, it may be necessary to use a commercial washer to prevent overcrowding in the washing machine. Overcrowding a quilt in the wash cycle can cause damage by rubbing and making holes in your quilt.
Color Catchers by Shout can be added to the wash cycle to prevent any excess dye bleeding on your quilt top.
You will receive a printed copy of these instructions with your finished quilt for your convenience.
Where are you located?
My physical address is: 730 Lincoln St. Fort Morgan, CO 80701
What about sales tax?
No sales tax is collected for custom orders. Sales tax is collected on ready-to-buy products purchased by Colorado residents.
What about shipping costs?
The customer is responsible for the cost of shipping clothing to Replay Quilts or can make arrangements via email or text message to drop off clothing to my home.
I offer FREE shipping of your finished quilt and any unused clothing that wasn't used in your quilt back to the customer.
Pillow orders over $100.00 will also receive FREE shipping.
Pillow orders under $100.00 will have shipping added, based on your zip code, weight and size of the pillow ordered.
Shipping insurance is added to ensure safe delivery of your quilt or pillow keepsake.
I use UPS Ground or USPS Priory Mail shipping services.
What is your return policy?
All products are custom-made so I do not offer returns/exchanges/refunds.
Using good communication between the customer and the quiltmaker = a happy customer!
In the event I’ve made a mistake in creating your quilt or pillow (for example, a an open seam or missed seam), please contact me as soon as possible.
I will have you return your quilt or pillow via shipping or drop off at my home so I can correct the mistake.
I will cover the cost of shipping to return the repaired quilt or pillow back to you.
I respect your privacy and will never release or sell any information about you to third parties.