Frequently Asked Questions at Replay Quilts
How do I get my T-shirts ready for my T-shirt Quilt order?
- Please print and include a T-SHIRT QUILT FORM with your tees. This form will have a copy of these instructions along with other questions gathering more information needed to complete your quilt order.
- Send clean tees and clothing washed in fragrance-free detergent and dryer sheets. New unworn t-shirts should be washed too!
- I prefer uncut t-shirts so I can get the best use and creative placement out of your clothing for your quilt. If you have already cut some of your tees, please let me know. I can usually make them work.
- Please mark logos that you DON’T want to be used by placing a piece of blue painters tape up in the shoulder area -"Don't Use"
- If there are special tees you want in the center of your quilt, label with blue painters tape. “CENTER" Please place tape up in the Shoulder area. NOT on the Logo! Sometimes tape leaves a sticky residue.
- Please write on your tape before you place it on tees and clothing. Sometimes the ink will soak thru the tape and leave letters on the garment!
- Prioritize your tees by putting the minimum number tees for your quilt size in a bag and label "#1"
- Take the remaining tees and label "Extras"
- My process is to cut the #1 bag of tees first. If I need more tees to fill space on your quilt, I will use tees from the "Extras" BAG.
- I do like extra tees if you have them. If you don’t have extra tees, I will work with what you give me and add small solid color t-shirt pieces from the backs of your tees to fill in and create the quilt size ordered.
- "Filler" pieces are plaid flannel pants, stripes, tie-dye or anything that has a print to it. If have pieces like this they add pop and interest to your quilt. Mark this bag "FILLER"
- Filler pieces can also be cotton prints that you purchase. Just give a call so we can talk about the amount of fabric to purchase. When adding prints like this a smaller amount of tees is used in making your quilt.
- Any uncut tees or clothing will be returned with your finished quilt.
- Please clearly mark any sentimental clothing piece that you want returned with your completed quilt order.
What should I do about stains and holes in my tee shirts?
Stains and holes are part of your story. But if you don't want them to show. Please mark them and I will do my best to work around them.
Can I use more than T-Shirts in my quilt or pillow?
YES! more than tees can be used in your Memory Quilt!
My motto - "If it's washable, it can used in your quilt or pillow"
I have made quilts using the following items:
- Sweatshirts, hooded sweatshirts, sweatpants, sports jerseys, tank tops, baseball jerseys with button fronts, shorts, sweat jackets, Tie-dye t-shirts
- Plaid flannel pants, backpack logos, school uniforms, and patches
- Jeans, sweaters, button-down shirts, western shirts, hockey socks, swimsuits, leotards, hat fronts, flags, Hawaiian shirts, military BDUs
- Favorite baby blanket, little girl dresses, infant clothing, infant hats, pillowcases
Is there anything that you don’t recommend for use in the quilts or pillows?
I do not recommend-
- Puff paint t-shirts. The puff paint on the t-shirt will peel and stick to other items when using and washing the quilt.
- Tees with photos that were NOT printed with a direct-to-garment printer. Tees with photos that are heat pressed onto the tee will peel and flake away over time while using the quilt.
- Chenille letters/patches from Letterman jackets are made from wool and are not washable and would need to be removed before washing the T-shirt quilt.
- A chenille letter from a letter jacket. I suggest using it on a pillow. The chenille letter is not washable and its easier to remove and wash the pillow cover and then stitch it back on the Pillow Cover.
What happens to extra clothing items at Replay Quilts after my quilt is made?
Any clothing or tees that I have not cut into will be returned with your finished quilt or pillow. I do not return cut pieces of tees or clothing from your order.
If you have something that is going to be used in your quilt that is very sentimental, I will return it with the finished but it must be CLEARLY MARKED so I know you want the remaining pieces returned.
How is my T-shirt Quilt or Memory Quilt made at Replay Quilts?
You can read more about how Replay T-shirt Quilts are made and my process
for cutting and designing your custom made T-shirt Quilt.
How is a Memory Quilt different from a T-shirt Quilts at Replay Quilts?
A Memory Quilt is created from the saved clothing of someone who has passed. Also referred to as "Memorial Quilts" these quilts are created as a special tribute to loved ones who touched your life and provide huggable comfort to those left behind.
Examples of the clothing pieces used to create a Memory Quilt top are button-down shirts, flannel shirts, Hawaiian shirts, blue jeans, robes, dresses, ladies' skirts, and more.
At Replay Quilts, I offer traditional or modern quilt design choices for these special quilts. Quilt design choices can be as simple as repeating 8" squares or more complex as pieced stars in the quilt design.
A Memory Quilt Deposit saves a spot on my Quilt Waitlist
A phone consultation with Julie will help determine your size and quilt design.
Can I make a DEPOSIT on a custom quilt order?
YES! I highly recommend purchasing a Quilt Deposit to get your Quilt Order started and is the minimum requirement to get your order started. My turn-around time is generally 2 to 3 months on custom orders. A DEPOSIT gives a plan to my Work schedule. Plus allows for a scheduled week to work on your Quilt order.
When your order is complete the remaining balance on your order is due and collected via an invoice from my website or Venmo.
Your custom-made quilt or pillow order will ship once the balance is paid.
I live locally. Can I drop off my clothing and picking up my finished custom order?
Yes, call or text Julie at 719-661-2990 (please leave a message) or email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a time for your delivery and pick up.
My physical address is: 155 Shade Tree Lane Unit C Mesquite, NV 89027
How do I care for my finished quilt?
Following our specific quilt care instructions is important to preserving the unique memory quilt that is now yours or a gift for your loved one.
Your quilt was created with care and was made to be used and loved!
I recommend washing your quilt about once a year. Unless you are using it HARD, then you may need to wash it more often. It can also be spot cleaned if only a small area is soiled.
Wash in cold water on a gentle cycle with a bleach-free detergent.
Dry on low heat or fluff and hang dry.
For large quilts, it may be necessary to use a commercial washer to prevent overcrowding in the washing machine. Overcrowding a quilt in the wash cycle can cause damage by rubbing and making holes in your quilt.
Color Catchers by Shout can be added to the wash cycle to prevent any excess dye bleeding on your quilt top.
You will receive a printed copy of these instructions with your finished quilt for your convenience.
What about sales tax?
No sales tax is collected for custom orders.
What about shipping costs?
The customer is responsible for the cost of shipping clothing to Replay Quilts or can make arrangements via email or text message to drop off clothing to my home.
I offer FREE shipping of your finished quilt and any unused clothing that wasn't used in your quilt back to the customer.
Shipping insurance is added to ensure safe delivery of your quilt or pillow keepsake.
I use UPS Ground or USPS Priory Mail shipping services.
What is your return policy?
All products are custom-made so I do not offer returns/exchanges/refunds.
Using good communication between the customer and the quiltmaker = a happy customer!
In the event I’ve made a mistake in creating your quilt or pillow (for example, a an open seam or missed seam), please contact me as soon as possible.
I will have you return your quilt or pillow via shipping or drop off at my home so I can make the repair.
I will cover the cost of shipping to return the repaired quilt or pillow back to you.
Can I Cancel my Quilt Order and receive a Refund?
In the event that a customer decides to cancel an order before the quilt work has started. The customer will receive a refund of their deposit or full quilt payment minus bank and credit card transaction fees.
I respect your privacy and will never release or sell any information about you to third parties.