Frequently Asked Questions at Replay Quilts
How do I know when my quilt or pillow order is scheduled?
Your purchase reserves a spot on my Quilt Waitlist. Once I receive your t-shirts or clothing I can schedule your order and send an email stating your clothing has arrived safely and the approximate time for your quilt or pillow work.
Please note I can be 3-6 months out on my Quilt Waitlist! You can always text or email to find out my schedule before you place an order.
My busiest times are spring: Feb - May for graduation quilts and late fall for Christmas giving: October to Mid December cut off.
I am a single woman business and sometimes life happens. So far in 15 years I have not missed a deadline. I will always communicate to let you know if something has changed on your delivery date.
How do I get my T-shirts ready for my T-shirt Quilt order?
- Look for your Confirmation Email with a FORM.
- Please print and include a T-SHIRT QUILT FORM with your tees. This form will have the instructions and t-shirt amounts plus collecting more information needed to complete your quilt order.
- Send clean tees and clothing washed in fragrance-free detergent and dryer sheets. New unworn t-shirts should be washed too!
- I prefer uncut t-shirts so I can get the best use and creative placement out of your clothing for your quilt. BUT...If you have already cut some of your tees, please let me know. I can usually make them work.
- Since many sports t-shirts can have more than one logo imprinted on them its helpful to know what is important to you and what you want included in your quilt!!
- Please mark logos that you DON’T want to be used by placing a piece of blue painters tape up in the shoulder area -"Don't Use"
- If there are special tees you want in the center of your quilt, label with blue painters tape. “CENTER" Please place tape up in the Shoulder area. NOT on the Logo! Sometimes tape leaves a sticky residue.
- Please write on your tape before you place it on tees and clothing. Sometimes the ink will soak thru the tape and leave letters on the garment!
- Prioritize your tees by putting the minimum number tees for your quilt size in a bag and label "#1"
- Take the remaining tees and label "Extras"
- My process is to cut the #1 bag of tees first. If I need more tees to fill space on your quilt, I will use tees from the "Extras" BAG.
- I do like extra tees if you have them. If you don’t have extra tees, I will work with what you give me and add small solid color t-shirt pieces from the backs of your tees to fill in and create the quilt size ordered or cut the t-shirt pieces with more space around the logo.
- "Filler" pieces are articles of clothing that have a print or design on them like plaid flannel pants, stripes, or tie-dye. If you have pieces like this they add pop and interest to your quilt. Mark this bag "FILLER" (optional)
- Filler pieces can also be cotton prints that you purchase! Just give a call so we can talk about the amount of fabric to purchase.
- When adding cotton quilt prints like this to your quilt top a smaller amount of tees can be used in making your quilt.
- Any uncut tees or clothing will be returned with your finished quilt.
- Please clearly mark any sentimental clothing piece that you want returned with your completed quilt order.
How many T-shirts do I need for my T-shirt Quilt order?
T-shirt logos do vary in size but here is the average that has works for most T-shirt quilt orders at Replay Quilts
- 50 x 50" - Small Throw T-shirt Quilt: 8-15 adult tees or 20 Baby items
- 50 x 70" - Medium Throw T-shirt Quilt: 18-25 adult tees or 25 Baby items
- 60 x 85" - Large Throw T-shirt Quilt: 25-35 Adult tees
- 65 x 45" - Twin size T-shirt Quilt: 35-45 Adult tees
I have found Harley-Davidson tees usually has very large graphics so I need less T-shirts to create those T-shirt Quilts.
What happens if I don't have enough T-shirts or clothing to make the size quilt I want?
There are many creative ways to make a quilt larger using what clothing or tees you have.
- Your clothing or T-shirt pieces can be cut larger to cover more area on the quilt top.
- Cotton quilt fabric can be purchased to add to the quilt top by adding strips, squares, or triangles.
- You may have other articles of clothing hiding in your closet that would be perfect to add to your favorite tees. For example a pair of plaid flannel pants or pajama pants, or flannel shirt or other garment with a solid or print design.
- An extra quilt block design can be created to add to the quilt top. For example a block that looks like a football with a favorite group of college football tees.
- The extra clothing needed can be "filler" pieces as described in the section above for an extra "Pop" to your quilt top.
- Solid color squares and rectangles can be cut for the back of your t-shirts to fill in open spots around your T-shirts with graphics.
What should I do about stains and holes in my tee shirts?
Stains and holes are part of your story. But if you don't want them to show. Please mark them and I will do my best to work around them.
Can I use other clothing pieces with my T-Shirts in my quilt or pillow?
YES! My motto - "If it's washable, it can used in your quilt or pillow"
I have made quilts using the following items:
- Sweatshirts, hooded sweatshirts, sweatpants, sports jerseys, tank tops, baseball jerseys with button fronts, shorts, sweat jackets, Tie-dye t-shirts
- Plaid flannel pants, backpack logos, school uniforms, and patches
- Jeans, sweaters, button-down shirts, western shirts, hockey socks, swimsuits, leotards, hat fronts, flags, Hawaiian shirts, military BDUs
- Favorite baby blanket, little girl dresses, infant clothing, infant hats, pillowcases
Is there anything that you don’t recommend for use in the quilts or pillows?
I do not recommend-
- Puff paint t-shirts. The puff paint on the t-shirt will peel and stick to other items when using and washing the quilt.
- Tees with photos that were NOT printed with a direct-to-garment printer. Tees with photos that are heat pressed onto the tee will peel and flake away over time while using the quilt.
- Chenille letters/patches from Letterman jackets are made from wool and are not washable and would need to be removed before washing the T-shirt quilt.
- For a chenille letter from a letter jacket. I suggest using it on a pillow. A chenille letter is easier to remove from a pillow and then stitched back onto the Pillow Cover than on a quilt top..
What happens to extra clothing items at Replay Quilts after my quilt is made?
Any clothing or tees that I have not cut into will be returned with your finished quilt or pillow. I do not return cut pieces of tees or clothing from your order.
If you have something that is going to be used in your quilt that is very sentimental, I will return it with the finished quilt or pillow but it must be CLEARLY MARKED so I know you want the remaining pieces returned.
I usually ask before I ship if you want the extra clothing back as it adds extra weight and shipping costs.
How is my T-shirt Quilt or Memory Quilt made at Replay Quilts?
T-shirt Quilts are pieced with interfaced t-shirt pieces sewn together on the quilt top with flannel inside and solid color fleece or sweatshirt fleece on the back with a quilt binding edge. For a soft blanket like finish.
The 3 layers are "quilted" with straight lines of stitching around the edge of the different sizes of t-shirt pieces to hold the 3 layers together. I use flannel inside Replay T-shirt Quilts because the largest T-shirt pieces are 16" across and are stitched or "quilted" too far apart to use batting inside. Batting stitched 16" apart will shred inside your quilt and would NOT wear well when washed. However, batting can be used upon request if the T-shirt quilt is created without any large 16" square pieces.
Memory Quilts are pieced using modern or traditional quilt designs with smaller pieces and have batting inside them with quilt cotton backing or fleece upon request on the quilt back. They are quilted with more straight lines of stitching than a T-shirt Quilt to hold the 3 layers together. Finished with a durable quilt binding edge.
How to order a Memory Pillow
- Purchase a Memory Pillow
- Look for a Confirmation Email with a FORM with instructions
- Ship CLEAN clothing
- Once I receive your clothing I schedule your order on my Work List.
- Before your pillow order is started you will be consulted via text messages on what pillow designs you prefer and what can be created from the clothing you provide.
- The Pillow front is machine quilted with 3 layers, with a pieced design on the front, batting, and back.
- Your Pillow back has a zipper for easy insertion and removal of a pillow form of your choice.
- When I can, I use a shirt back to create the back of the pillow using up more of the clothing provided in your order.
- The edge of the pillow is finished with a durable contrasting quilt binding framing your pillow top.
- I love to create custom pillows, so if you have an idea for a design or a different size I'm sure I can make it happen.
How is a Memory Quilt different from a T-shirt Quilts at Replay Quilts?
A Memory Quilt is created from the saved clothing of someone who has passed. Also referred to as "Memorial Quilts" these quilts are created as a special tribute to loved ones who touched your life and provide huggable comfort to those left behind.
Examples of the clothing pieces used to create a Memory Quilt top are button-down shirts, flannel shirts, Hawaiian shirts, blue jeans, robes, dresses, ladies' skirts, robes, jackets and so much more.
At Replay Quilts, I offer traditional or modern quilt design choices for these special quilts. Quilt design choices generally use smaller pieces which requires more time to construct and why I charge more for a Memory Quilt order. Designs can be simple squares, log strips to complex stars and hearts etc.
Once I'm ready to start and work on your quilt or pillow order I send text messages and photos to find out what designs and colors you prefer so I'm creating a quilt that you cherish and love!
How much clothing do you need to make a MEMORY QUILT?
Many times a whole closet has been emptied into tubs after a loved one passes. Almost all clothing as long as its washable can be used in a Memory Quilt.
I have found that one tub 25-30 gallon size is enough clothing to make 2-3 Medium Throw Memory Quilts and sometimes more. After I cut and create the quilts there are enough scraps to make several Memory Pillows and Christmas Memory Ornaments.
Once I see your clothing sizes and articles of clothing I can usually give you an idea of what I can make.
Generally 12 - 15 Men's shirts will create a beautiful quilt!
I recommend to start a Memory Quilt order by purchasing one Memory Quilt and then texting Julie letting her know you would like as many quilts made as possible if you so desire more than one Memory quilt.
Can I make a payments on a custom quilt order?
Yes, please use the SHOP PAY button when on the Cart page and you can set up payment for different amounts and time frame.
I live locally. Can I drop off my clothing and picking up my finished custom order?
Yes, call or text Julie at 719-661-2990 (please leave a message) or email email@example.com to set up a time for your delivery and pick up.
My physical address is: 155 Shade Tree Lane Unit C Mesquite, NV 89027
How do I care for my finished quilt?
Following our specific quilt care instructions is important to preserving the unique memory quilt that is now yours or a gift for your loved one.
Your quilt was created with care and was made to be used and loved!
I recommend washing your quilt about once a year. Unless you are using it HARD, then you may need to wash it more often. It can also be spot cleaned if only a small area is soiled.
Wash in cold water on a gentle cycle with a bleach-free detergent.
Dry on low heat or fluff and hang dry.
For large quilts, it may be necessary to use a commercial washer to prevent overcrowding in the washing machine. Overcrowding a quilt in the wash cycle can cause damage by rubbing and making holes in your quilt.
I highly recommend adding Color Catchers by Shout to the wash cycle to prevent any excess dye bleeding from certain clothing articles on your quilt top.
You will receive a printed copy of these instructions with your finished quilt for your convenience.
What about sales tax?
No sales tax is collected for custom orders.
What about shipping costs?
The customer is responsible for the cost of shipping clothing to Replay Quilts or can make arrangements via email or text message to drop off clothing to my home.
I offer FREE shipping of your finished quilts and pillows and any unused clothing that wasn't used in your quilt back to the customer.
Shipping insurance is added to ensure safe delivery of your quilt or pillow keepsake.
I use UPS Ground or USPS Priory Mail shipping services.
What is your return policy?
All products are custom-made specially for you so I do not offer returns/exchanges/refunds.
Using good communication between the customer and the quiltmaker = a happy customer!
In the event I’ve made a mistake in creating your quilt or pillow (for example, a an open seam or missed seam), please contact me as soon as possible.
I will have you return your quilt or pillow via shipping or drop off at my home so I can make the repair.
I will cover the cost of shipping to return the repaired quilt or pillow back to you.
Can I Cancel my Quilt Order and receive a Refund?
Only if the customer decides to cancel an order before the quilt or pillow work has started. Then the customer will receive a refund minus bank and credit card transaction fees.
I respect your privacy and will never release or sell any information about you to third parties.